Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Though the Earth Give Way

God is good, all of the time. He firmly displays the power of His strong hand. He covers our bodies with protection through the storm. He moves the winds and the rain to save his people. He builds a fortress around his children.
Tonight is the eve following a catastrophic storm at Union University in Jackson, TN. This was my alma mater. I met my husband at this school and we courted, fell in love, and planned our lives together all while at Union. I was a resident advisor at Union and remember enduring 3 tornados in Jackson, TN in one year. Two of the tornadoes were powerful enough to cause extensive damage and terrorize frightened young girls who were just learning how to live without the protection of their parents. The great damage caused during those storms (millions of dollars worth) is easily shadowed by last night's devastating storm. Many students were trapped by the buildings caving in all around them. Cars were strewn on top of cars (many, not just here and there). 20% of the dorms are liveable now. Buildings were destroyed. The power of the storm is unimaginable. But all students survived. God had His strong hand on His people. God kept the bathroom walls surrounding his frightened children intact while everything around them crumbled. It is illogical when you look at the pictures and see walls stripped completely from buildings, roofs gone, and the bathroom walls are still strong and stable.

Yes, we know that God could surely have taken people home last night. He could've done whatever He wanted to do. All He does is to draw His people to Himself. Last night He protected the people of Union University. They faced a storm and ran to God, their "refuge and strength"
God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.

Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea.

Psalm 46: 1, 2

Their Bibles were opened as the fierce winds attacked and their voices raised in prayer and petition for their lives, for protection, for God's glory in the midst of suffering. Their prayers were answered.

And today, my earth gave way in a manner of speaking. God brought to my attention that it is not my job to fix everything and that God is perfectly capable (that doesn't do Him justice!) to take care of things on His own time and in His own way. He showed me this by allowing a circumstance that I can do nothing about. Benjamin is sick and will need outpatient surgery. It breaks my heart that he is so sick. It also hurts to know that I cannot fix it for him or take it from him. God has given him such stamina. I want my son to be well, but I also want to know God, to know what he is doing with these circumstances to show Himself to us. I know that God wants me to see Him, to grow with Him, to trust myself less and Him more. I weep as my empty hands have nothing to offer my suffering son. But God's hands are strong and His supply is endless. He is the protector and provider, creator of all things, and He will provide in this circumstance as well. He promises to never leave or forsake His children. He has plans for Benjamin's life that will bring glory to His name. If that includes deafness, then God will do it. If that includes a full recovery and miraculous healing, then God WILL do it. And I will pray that God's name be honored in the midst of this, that God increase our faith in HIS all sufficient power.

These everyday, physical needs, pains, desires encompass so much of our life, but Christ has SO much more to offer. He offers water that, once we drink of it, we will never thirst again. He has salve for our spiritual eyes and spiritual food that is fulfilling and rich. He offers life, eternal with His Holy father. True rest and a heart that is at peace. Lord, I want all you have to offer and more! Saturate our family with spiritual blessings. Continue to give us opportunities to run to you, whatever it takes.

2 comments:

Mel Gruver said...

A-
I look forward to reading your blog as you update it (I've added you to my google reader) :)
Right now I am avioding necessary work that needs to get done, so I have not had the chance to THOROUGHLY puruse your musings.
HOwever, one thing that excites me is the different paths we both have taken and how great to continually have people in my life that are different than me!
PLease continue to stop in at my blog and share your reactions, as I will try to covenent to do the same for you.
Tell the hubby. I said what up!

Andrea said...

I will tell Nathan you said "What up!" It's so good to hear from you. And I think it is amazing how God can give us different passions and different locations and walks and tasks (should I go on?) and still work continually to draw each and every one of us to Him and to each other. It is such a beautiful thing what God does with His people! I like your blog! I try not to play around TOO much on the computer, so I might not be a huge commenter for you, but I am sure you will hear from me!