Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Priorities and Provision

I am certain that time will just escape me now that I am sitting down to write, but I am just shocked at how God has structured this day today. I have had many things to do, and, once I completed those tasks, I actually have time to sit and write! It is amazing to me! The children are napping! The floors are mopped and vacuumed! The carpet floor has been scrubbed for spots. The dishes are done and laundry is in the drier. The walls are wiped down and ready for painters to come in an paint an accent wall (courtesy of the apartment complex for renewing our lease. It also helps that there are crayon markings ALL OVER that particular wall from sweet children who took advantage of an ill parent one day last week!) Let me just run down a list of what God has blessed us with:

Time. I am finding more time in my days to do a daily quiet time and to spend time each evening in meditation, prayer, and reading. Nothing has changed as far as our work load. Nathan still is working two jobs and I have recently been promoted as a supervisor at my work. Nathan is also still taking classes, so this fresh sweet time we've been given to know Him better is a gift, and I do not know where it came from. Although I will add that the television has been disconnected from the antenna for over a month now, and we could not be happier about it!

The van is still a blessing to us. Because of the size of the vehicle, we have been able to fill it with other things that we'll need for the new baby. Just last week we were able to take home the following things that God provided:
A toddler bed for Benjamin so that the crib will be available for the new baby
A high chair for the new baby

It has been truly amazing how our needs have been met during this season. I could be searching for hours and hours on craigslist, and instead I have the honor and privilege of blogging about how God is faithful!

He is also showing me different ways that I need to rearrange my priorities at work and at home. On my refrigerator is a list (because I need constant reminders) of the things that are the most important responsibilities I have here on earth:

1. Daily Quiet Times (morning and evening). I can't be legalistic about having a quiet time two times a day, but there is nothing better than delighting in God's word and knowing Him and trusting Him. The most important thing we can do here on earth is to Know God, to accept His righteousness that has been given to us through Christ, to honor and enjoy Him all of our days in all of our circumstances. This has incredibly impacted my thought life, my awareness of spiritual warfare, my faith, and more. This scripture speaks plainly on the man who meditates on God's word day and night and cherishes His laws.

How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the path of sinners,
Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
2But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
3He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
Which yields its fruit in its season
And its leaf does not wither;
And in whatever he does, he prospers.
Psalm 1:1-3

2. Development of my Family.
Being intentional as a wife and a mother to encourage and support my husband and to train my children in faith and in life. In going through the Old Testament, you can find time and time again references of bad kings whose mothers did not love God wholeheartedly. Mothers have an incredible responsibility and influence on the direction of the lives of their children. We must be intentional to teach them about God while they are young. I am trying to understand what this looks like fleshed out and to determine what steps to take and how to organize our days so that this is number 2 in our lives. My husband also needs me to be a diligent helper, to be quick to encourage and slow to complain. He needs me to pray for him and with him and to submit to his requests without complaint.

3. Care of my Home. I have a responsibility to be a caretaker of the home I've been given. This will allow for ministry to continue to flow within our family without distractions from as much illness or clutter. This will give us the freedom to open our home to the community and give of ourselves in other ways. This is a work in progress right now, but Carolyn Mahaney is helping me to understand how to take great joy in working in the home, how to seek opportunities for teaching at every moment, and the freedom that exists when a home is well maintained.

4. Responsibilities at Work. Right now its my role to be an encourager to moms who work with me and to keep them organized and on task. This is something that I could spend all day every day working on. There is a black hole of progress that could be made in this area to lead these women and this child care center toward excellence, but because this is not my number one priority, I have been trying to put first things first. I still find myself doing more than I should and thanking God for showing me where I err (usually through the words of my mother!). I trust that He will grow the center and instill excellence in it as I devote myself to Him and His excellence.


Nathan begins his new job next week, and he is VERY excited about it. The kids are going to enjoy Him so much once he's home! I believe that is it for today! Off to work for the night!

No comments: